Colorstay Ultimate Liquid Lipstick - Expressionists by Gucci Westman for Revlon - Review & Swatches

Tuesday, June 5, 2012



 Where to buy: USA Amazon (US) SALE $7.63 (RRP $10.99) : AUS RRP $26.00 In store (AU) or on  eBay $9.85AU with Free Shipping : UK eBay £10.52

Rating: 3/5 Glittery Stilettos


Keep reading for watches and review........

What they say:

One-step, food-proof lipcolor with a patented ColorStay™ technology that lasts up to 24 hours.
Food-proof lipcolor with a built-in, ultra-conditioning topcoat. One-step application- No topcoat required for comfortable wear. Stays comfortable and wears beautifully. Does not feather or fade; no touch-ups required, even after meals.
What I say:


I realise this collection is going to be old news for the majority of you but for those of us living in the southern hemisphere this is Revlon's latest collection release for our Autumn/Winter. The good news is if you see anything you like from this collection many of the items are now available at a discount on Amazon (see links above).

I am a huge advocate for Revlon lip colours, their lipsticks in particular are in my opinion superlative to all other drugstore lip products. So when I came across the new Revlon display I freaked out over the liquid lipstick (which is not a new product but for some reason the first time I had noticed it) and I ended up buying every shade - a decision I am now regretting.

Straight off the bat I am not a fan of the scent which is a very plastic based sickly sweet vanilla - reminiscent of the Dolce & Gabana lip products which I can't bare (review). Although the packaging is a little misleading the extra diameter of plastic makes it feels extremely sturdy and durable. With only 3ml's of product you are getting half the product of the normal Revlon Colorburst Lipgloss's for a higher price point - very irritating.

The formula is a lot thinner then anything I've tried before which means that application is difficult and you need to work in thin even coats. The problem I've found with trying to get opaque coverage is you have to give the first coat a good 3 minutes to dry before applying the next coat to avoid a gross gritty texture from the product balling up between the lips. It's important you don't smack or rub the lips together at all until it dries or the colour will slide to the outer perimeter of your lips.

After you get over the initial application hurdles the finish is a very pretty semi-matte/satin with slight frost properties particularly noticeable in the lightest of the four shades. I found that the lighter shades also had more a tendency to settle into the cracks of the lips, I suggest applying a good lip balm beforehand to avoid this.

The wear time is no where near 24 hours - I would say more like 5-6 hours of solid colour with no touch ups or feathering as suggested by Revlon. The real stand out quality of this product is it's ability to remain untouched during and after eating/drinking, after an hour of wear I ate a mandarin and slice of quiche with no noticeable change to the finish of texture.

Revlon's biggest claim on this product is the "one step" guarantee, I find it hard to believe any lip stain or liquid lipstick is going to let you get away with not applying some sort of other "step" whether it's a balm first or a balm/gloss on top. This product is no different I'm afraid, I got by the first 2 hours without applying anything over the top but it was way too dry and I had to slap on some gloss.

Pros

  • Initial finish is a pretty semi matte/satin
  • Packaging is durable
  • Remains untouched after eating/drinking
  • Large shade range

Cons

  • Drying
  • Minimal product for the price
  • Lighter shades tend to show up imperfections
  • Lasts only 5-6 hours rather then suggested 24
  • Requires careful application
  • Slow drying time
  • Smell/scent
  • A BITCH to remove from skin!
Buffest Beige

Medium caramel beige with a peach undertone and frosty shimmer.




Prime Pink

Soft candy floss with visible micro shimmer.




Ultimate Orchid

A cool toned/purple based medium pink with amazing opacity and pink shimmer.




Vigorous Violet

Gorgeous magenta purple/grape with micro shimmer.




Removal of the swatches was almost impossible - this is the result after using my normal make up remover wipes... In the end I had to scrub it off with dish soap and a loofa, signs of a long lasting product!


Have you tried the Colorstay Liquid Lipstick? What did you think? Comment below xoxo

1 comment :

  1. After looking over a number of the articles on your blog, I honestly
    like your way of blogging. I saved as a favorite
    it to my bookmark site list and will be checking back soon.
    Please visit my web site too and tell me what you think.
    Here is my site ; grumpy cat

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |